Vice President, Payer
Wheel is the health tech company powering the next generation of healthcare. The entire healthcare industry is racing to serve patients online, but outdated business models, technologies, and mindsets are continuing to get in the way. We pioneered a new way for companies to build and scale virtual care.
Instead of starting from scratch, companies can leverage Wheel’s virtual care platform and nationwide clinician network to develop a virtual care service — bypassing the 15 months and $15 million it can take to build from the ground up. Today, Wheel powers the most innovative companies in healthcare today, including digital health companies, clinical lab networks, retailers, traditional healthcare providers, and tech companies.
We’re a team of experts and innovators working together to solve some of healthcare’s most challenging problems in order to put great care within everyone’s reach. We’ve raised $216 million in funding and backed by top investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Tiger Global, Coatue, CRV, Tusk Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, and Silverton Partners.
In the last year we’re proud to have been named:
- Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startups
- Built In’s Best Remote-First Places to Work
- CB Insights Digital Health 150
- Business Insider 30 Leaders under 40 Changing Healthcare
We’re looking for people to join our team who share a passion for making a positive difference in healthcare and feel connected to our core values.
As the VP of Payer at Wheel, you will be a key leader responsible for driving the growth and expansion of our healthcare solutions within the payer market. You will lead the payer sales verticle and play a pivotal role in developing and executing strategies to establish partnerships with payer organizations, health insurance companies, government payers, and managed care organizations. Your primary focus will be to drive revenue growth, build strong relationships, and position our products as essential solutions for the evolving needs of payers in the healthcare industry.
- Payer Sales Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive sales strategy to penetrate the payer market, outlining clear objectives, target segments, and key performance indicators to achieve revenue goals.
- Business Development: Identify, initiate, and cultivate strategic relationships with payer organizations, insurance companies, government agencies, and managed care entities to secure new partnerships and sales opportunities.
- Revenue Growth: Drive revenue growth by meeting or exceeding sales targets, negotiating contracts, and expanding the customer base within the payer market.
- Market Intelligence: Stay abreast of industry trends, payer market dynamics, and competitor activities to inform the development of effective sales strategies and product positioning.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product management, marketing, and operations, to align sales efforts with product development and marketing initiatives.
- Client Relationship Management: Foster strong, long-lasting relationships with key payer customers, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and acting as a trusted advisor for their healthcare needs.
- Sales Presentations and Proposals: Deliver compelling and persuasive sales presentations, proposals, and business cases tailored to the specific needs and requirements of payer prospects.
- Contract Negotiation: Lead contract negotiations with payer organizations, ensuring that agreements are mutually beneficial and aligned with the strategic goals of both parties.
- Industry Events and Networking: Represent the company at industry conferences, trade shows, and networking events to promote our solutions and build brand awareness within the payer market.
- Proven track record of success in selling healthcare-related solutions to payer organizations, with a minimum of 10 years of experience in consultative payer sales
- Deep understanding of the payer landscape, including health insurance companies, government payers, and managed care organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute sales strategies, achieve revenue targets, and drive business growth.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate complex concepts effectively.
- Strategic thinker with a customer-focused approach and the ability to identify opportunities and address market challenges through a consultative approach.
- Knowledge of digital health technologies and their applications in the payer space is highly desirable.
- Existing network and relationships within the payer industry are a significant advantage.
- Willingness to travel as needed to meet with prospective payer clients and attend industry events.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Management, or related field (MBA preferred).