Senior Product Designer (Contract)
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purposeful company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. The design team’s goal is to create effective and meaningful user experiences that support the business and products across The Zebra.
We’re looking for a contractor for a Senior Product Designer who leverages user insights to develop creative strategies and deliver accessible solutions within the appropriate scope. Product Designers work cross-functionally within an agile framework along with product management and engineering to ensure their team crafts a well-rounded experience for our consumers. The expected length of this contract is approximately 5 months.
This role reports directly to the VP of Product
This role will pay between $60.14/hr- $70.16/hr
Ideal Start Date: April 1 or last week of March
Length of Contract: 5 months, or approximately 24 weeks total
Specific Project Work: This contract designer will be working on all initiatives their squad owns, as well as support SEO and design and product team with any design related needs.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! Like many companies, pre-COVID we weren’t set-up this way. We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and are loving the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA
This position is not currently eligible for visa sponsorship
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Participate in the entire design process of our digital products & services from initial research, ideation, conceptualization and design, to testing and validation.
- Balance big-picture thinking with an agile iterative approach to continuously deliver improvements for our users.
- Be accountable for high-quality design practices. Your work should utilize quantitative/qualitative findings, follow existing UX/UI systems, and use well researched web usability best practices to create new patterns when needed.
- Foster a transparent and collaborative working environment, communicating critical information clearly and effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team with content designers, UX researchers, product managers, developers, data scientists, analysts, and other designers.
- Lead design meetings and facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, and decision making.
- 5+ years in Product and Marketing Design.
- Possess a people-focused design mentality, a strong sense of product and brand continuity, a keen awareness of current and emerging design trends, and a passion for accessibility best practices
- Expertise with core concepts related to product design, including A/B testing, wireframing, prototyping, developing user feedback loops, etc.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, the ability to find creative solutions and build something from scratch
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-growth growth and at times ambiguous environment
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS US
- Experience designing for insurance or financial products.
- Experience working in project management tools like Jira, Asana, etc.
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- B2B and Marketing design experience.
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012—it’s “insurance in black and white.”
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**