Director of Product Management
At Spot, we know that just about everyone thinks insurance has never been cool or exciting. It's boring, complicated, and something we all hope we never use. That’s why we’re turning the insurance industry on its head by building the first lifestyle brand in the insurance world, encouraging our customers to live life to the fullest knowing we've got their back.
Spot is the first insurance company that helps its customers have fun while taking risks, whether learning how to ski, riding a local mountain bike trail, or training to summit Everest. We cover people’s medical bills when shit hits the fan.
We were founded by avid skiers, cyclists, and outdoor enthusiasts, so we understand the risks that come with the territory. When bad things happen, dealing with insurance can make it worse. We believe our community deserves something better.
With over a million customers and growing, we have no intention of slowing down.
We believe in the importance of culture and community and that teams thrive when working in alignment.
Key Values for This Role
- Value Driven
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Ability to conceptualize and analyze problems and solutions in a proactive, constructive and creative manner
Why This Role Is Important to Us
The Director of Product Management role is critical for developing and executing our product strategy. This requires extensive learning and analysis of our customers, partners, business and industry. At present, this role is expected to be an individual contributor to work with internal and external stakeholders to develop our product strategy. This role is critical to gain alignment on this strategy in support of our company mission and vision.
In their leadership capacity, this person is responsible for establishing best practices of product management within the organization. In leadership strategy sessions, it is expected that the Director of Product will always advocate for how to deliver maximum value for any assigned effort.
- Own initiatives across the complete product development lifecycle, including idea generation, market research, business case development, marketing/sales strategy, financial analysis, technical requirements, product implementation and launch
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of product managers
- Lead, define, represent, and communicate product strategy to all stakeholders
- Play a key role in company strategy development, evaluating how product innovation contributes to the achievement of strategic objectives
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering Team for prototyping and technical development and delivery of products, understanding how new product ideas will leverage the capabilities of the company’s proprietary technology platform
- Collaborate with the Design team to define UX and UI flows
- Analyze customer demand, current market trends, new technologies, etc. to develop product roadmaps with a focus on ROI/value creation; manages the company’s product roadmap
- Understand user pain points, rapidly problem-solve, and convert ideas into working prototypes
- Drive product analytics to understand feature usage, comprehension, and optimization
- Escalate and mitigate risks with Executive Leadership across all strategic initiatives
- Provide strategic insight into the product roadmap, recommending features and optimizations that improve Spot’s ability to be easily integrated into 3rd party platforms
- Ensure that the Spot SDLC process is effective and produces quality features and value often and predictably
- Develop proposals and ideate on how to enhance the organizational product strategy and ability to achieve OKRs
- Cultivate a community of cross-functional teamwork and building with compassion
- Develop strategies to include reporting insight and analytics, where appropriate, to support and drive Marketing and operational needs
- Work collaboratively with the various teams to define the strategy and scope of strategic launches
- Create, maintain, and communicate development release plans
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience within consumer or financial services, FinTech (especially startups), or technology related industries is required
- 5+ years of experience as a product leader
- Defining and launching products is your jam
- Inspiring and influencing cross-functional teams is easy for you
- Proven ability working in fast-paced and iterative product development cycles and iterative product development cycles
- Able to formulate and implement global strategies for products
- Understanding of user experience and design (UI and UX)
- Analytical and hands-on approach with both business and technical teams
- Able to distill product roadmaps into digestible and relevant presentations to key customers and partners
- Financial analysis with the ability to understand complex economic drivers, P&L and metrics
- Technology excites you, old archaic systems are not what you need to thrive
A Typical Day Looks Like
- Identifying risks and challenges across product teams then recommending solutions
- Workshop needed enhancements to the platform to achieve OKRs
- Getting into the weeds to design solutions that meet the needs of partners, customers and Spot
- Researching competitors and best-in-class products for platform or organizational inspiration
Things You Might Brag About
- Getting your hands dirty and being scrappy is second nature to you
- You love building exceptional teams
- If nothing else is available, building out a plan comes just as easy as analyzing data
- Everyone respects your drive and will follow your lead
Like we’ve said before, we believe our community deserves something better! Our view of diversity goes beyond visible differences and includes unique backgrounds, ideas, experiences and perspectives. We are so proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and in no way will we discriminate in our hiring process based on a person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, transgender status, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics. We believe strongly that education comes in many forms and in most cases do not require a formal degree for employment at Spot. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We care deeply about our Spot people who are dedicated to revolutionizing the distribution of insurance, the industry and the world! That’s why we are dedicated to providing benefits with you, your family, and your life in mind. We offer a various array of benefits including a relaxed PTO policy, medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k, paid holidays, bereavement, and parental leave. All Spot employees receive equipment for their remote setup, and a Spot Injury plan in case shit does hit the fan!