Senior Backend Engineer
OJO is an Austin-based real estate technology company partnering with the top real estate agents and teams to deliver value to millions of consumers on its platform. The company’s platform for buying, selling, and homeownership meets people wherever they are on their journey, offering personalized guidance every step of the way. Through a bespoke combination of people and technology, OJO cultivates a deep understanding of individual needs and preferences, matching people with the right tools and trusted providers to equip anyone to unlock the abundant benefits of home ownership.
Our residential search site Movoto provides personalized recommendations and highlights listings best suited to each consumers’ needs and preferences, so they never miss a home that might be the right fit. OJO Homeowner, our home management and finance tool, helps consumers uncover hidden savings, monitor equity, and plan for the future, whether managing their home as an asset or identifying the right time to sell. We also have a network of top-rated real estate agents and teams on our OJO Pro+, OJO Pro, and OJO Select Network platforms, to match each consumer with the expert who can best support their individual journey.
As one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S., OJO has placed 29th on the Deloitte Tech Fast 500 and 49th on the Inc. 5000. To date, the company has raised more than $140 million to fuel its rapid growth. CEO and Founder, John Berkowitz, has been named EY Entrepreneur of the Year for Central Texas and a top CEO by the Austin Business Journal and the company’s executives have won more than a dozen industry awards in the past year. OJO is headquartered in Austin, Texas and has employees globally with a presence in Chicago, Minneapolis, and San Mateo; and a large operations center in St. Lucia.
We consistently incorporate social and environmental impact into decision-making at OJO because we consider it important to the success of our business and our overarching purpose to equip anyone to unlock the abundant benefits of homeownership. From saving to buying, owning to selling, we guide people through all the twists and turns along the way. So they can unlock more than just the front door.
As a Senior Software Engineer on our Monetization team, you’ll have the opportunity to build, develop, and support strategic business initiatives by building high quality, scalable software leveraging OJO’s data to better assist our customers in achieving their real estate goals. You will play an integral role in a distributed engineering environment collaborating with and learning from very experienced engineers across the entire Software Engineering organization. Your mission will include driving multiple projects forward serving different initiatives, developing and designing a wide range of software solutions, and helping push the team forward with code reviews and design sessions
- Be part of a talented engineering team to build a compelling digital experience that engages with consumers who are in the process of making important purchasing decisions
- Write code, write a lot of code, write better code while you are at it
- Participate in building a strong culture that values learning and collaboration
- 5 (+) years of hands-on development experience
- Experience in Java or other Object Oriented languages
- Strong communication skills
- An appetite to learn the craft of software development
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Computer Science or other technical degree (or equivalent job experience)
Nice to Haves
- Experience building maintainable systems supported by automated tests
- Experience with Kotlin, Python, Spring, PostgreSQL and/or message brokers
- Experience with AWS managed services
- Experience with Kubernetes
At OJO Engineering, we highly value a thirst for learning, the ability to collaborate, and passion for our customers and agents. We are excited to tackle hard technical problems. We take our responsibility seriously as we use technology to help our customers make important, sometimes life-changing, buying decisions. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment alongside some of the best engineers in Austin, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
- Equitable Pay Practices
- Flexible PTO Policy
- 20+ Paid Company Holidays
- Options for 100% Coverage of Employee and Dependent Medical Health Premiums
- Robust Ancillary Benefit Offerings Including Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Disability Coverage, and Pre Tax Savings Accounts
- Talkspace Access for Employees and Their Dependents
- Home Office Stipend
- Monthly Wellness Stipend
- Generous Paid Parental Leave
- Investment in Continued Learning
- Promote from Within Philosophy
- Volunteer Program
- Dog-friendly Workplace
Ready to join us? Here’s what to expect next:
Step 1: Complete the application below
Step 2: Recruiter Phone Screen
Step 3: Hiring Manager Video Interview
Step 4: Subject Matter Expert/Technical Video Interview
Step 5: Final Round Interview + Role-specific Project Assignment (for many roles)
Diversity and Inclusion at OJO:
OJO is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. We provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment and do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by law, including race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, and veteran status. We provide equal employment opportunities at all stages in the employment process, including hiring, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Further, all of our employees have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect at all times.